USA Today has an interesting article today about the five issues that will decided the outcome of 06:
A handful of issues is shaping the landscape for competitive contests nationwide, driving down the standing of President Bush and Congress and creating formidable hurdles for the GOP. Democrats are banking that unhappiness over the Iraq war — plus record gas prices, divisions over immigration, snags in Medicare's new prescription-drug benefit and corruption — will make this election a referendum on the president and the direction of the country.
In a sign of Republican travails, Bush's approval rating fell to a record-low 31% in a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken Friday through Sunday.
"At this moment, it doesn't look like the Republican Party can dig out of this hole," veteran Republican pollster Lance Tarrance says.
Let's look at the five issues and where Jimbo is on them:
- The War in Iraq - If you can get Jimbo to take a position on the issue, good job. Jimbo had a chance to articulate his position last month, but chose to duck it.
- Immigration - Jimbo got caught fibbin' when it came to immigration and the gave businesses hiring illegal immigrants a pass.
- Scandals - When you are as close to Tom DeLay as Jimbo is, what else needs to be said?
- Gas Prices - Jimbo has firmly been on the side of Big Oil over ours.
- Medicare - Dan Maffei challenged Jimbo on extending the deadline nearly 2 months ago, but he waffled and said it was too soon to act. The clock on Dan Maffei's site that is counting down to the deadline says there's just a week left.
All in all, I think these are five bad issues for Jimbo, unfortunately that is why we can expect lots more mud from him and his supporters.